Google Scholar profile with reference list and links to others that cite our work here
Check out full list of publications from our lab here.
Publications in the last 5 years (n=60). Trainees italicized.
84. Blizzard LeBlanc DR, Rioux BV, Pelech C, Moffatt TL, Kimber DE, Duhamel TA, Dolinsky VW, McGavock JM, Sénéchal M. Exercise-induced irisin release as a determinant of the metabolic response to exercise training in obese youth: the EXIT trial. Physiol Rep. 2017 Dec;5(23). pii: e13539
83. McGavock J, Wicklow B, Dart AB. Type 2 diabetes in youth is a disease of poverty. Lancet. 2017 Oct 21;390(10105):1829
82. Guillemette L, Durksen A, Rabbani R, Zarychanski R, Abou-Setta AM, Duhamel TA, McGavock JM, Wicklow B. Intensive gestational glycemic management and childhood obesity: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Obes (Lond). 2017 Jul;41(7):999-1004
81. Hobin E, Erickson T, Comte M, Zuo F, Pasha S, Murnaghan D, Manske S, Casey C, Griffith J, McGavock J. Examining the impact of a province-wide physical education policy on secondary students' physical activity as a natural experiment. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2017 Jul 19;14(1):98
80. Rioux BV, Kuwornu P, Sharma A, Tremblay MS, McGavock JM, Sénéchal M. Association Between Handgrip Muscle Strength and Cardiometabolic z-Score in Children 6 to 19 Years of Age: Results from the Canadian Health Measures Survey. Metab Syndr Relat Disord. 2017 Sep;15(7):379-384
79. McLean L, Russell K, McFaull S, Tenenbein M, Warda L, McGavock J. Age and the risk of All-Terrain Vehicle-related injuries in children and adolescents: A cross sectional study. BMC Pediatrics. 2017. 17: 81-90
78. Azad M, Abou-Setta A, McGavock JM, Wicklow B, Zarychanski R. Non-nutritive sweeteners and cardio-metabolic health: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials and prospective cohort studies. CMAJ. 2017 Jul 17;189(28):E929-E939.
77. Azad MB, Moyce BL, Guillemette L, Pascoe CD, Wicklow B, McGavock JM, Halayko A, Dolinsky VW. Diabetes in pregnancy and lung health in offspring: developmental origins of respiratory disease. Paediatric Respiratory Reviews. 2017 Jan;21:19-26
76. Setayeshgar, S, Ekwaru JP, Maximova K, Majumdar S, Storey K, McGavock J, Veugelers P. Dietary intake and prospective changes in cardiometabolic risk factors in children and youth. Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism.2017 42:39-45.
75. Sellers EA, Dean HJ, Shafer LA, Martens P, Phillips-Beck W, Heaman M, Prior H, Dart A, McGavock J, Morris M, Torshizi AA, Ludwig S, Shen GX. Exposure to gestational diabetes: impact on the development of early onset type 2 diabetes in Canadian First Nation and Non-First Nation offspring. Diabetes Care. 2016 Dec;39(12):2240-2246.
74. Martens P, Shafer LA, Dean HJ, Sellers EA, Yamamoto J, Ludwig S, Heaman M, Philips-Beck W, Prior HJ, Morris M, McGavock J, Dart A, Shen GX. Breastfeeding Initiation Associated With Reduced Incidence of Diabetes in Mothers and Offspring. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2016; 5(128):
73. Zuo F, Comte M, So J, Rosella L, McGavock J, Hobin E. Trajectories of objectively measured sedentary time among secondary students in Manitoba, Canada in the context of a province-wide physical education policy: A longitudinal analysis. Can J Public Health. 2016 Jun 27;107(1):e23-9. doi: 10.17269/cjph.107.5238
72. Reid AE, Chauhan BF, Rabbani R, Lys J, Copstein L, Mann A, Abou-Setta AM, Fiander M, MacKay DS, McGavock J, Wicklow B, Zarychanski R, Azad MB. Early Exposure to Nonnutritive Sweeteners and Long-term Metabolic Health: A Systematic Review. Pediatrics. 2016 Feb 25. pii: peds.2015-3603.
71. Hay J, Wittmeier K, MacIntosh A, Wicklow B, Duhamel T, Sellers E, Dean H, Ready E, Berard L, Kriellaars D, Shen GX, Gardiner P, McGavock J. Physical activity intensity and type 2 diabetes risk in overweight youth: a randomized trial. Int J Obes (Lond). 2016. 40: 607-14.
70. Huynh E, Rand D, McNeill C, Brown S, Senechal M, Wicklow B, Dart A, Sellers E, Dean H, Blydt-Hansen T, McGavock J Beating Diabetes Together: A Mixed-Methods Analysis of a Feasibility Study of Intensive Lifestyle Intervention for Youth with Type 2 Diabetes. Can J Diabetes. 2015 Dec;39(6):484-90. doi: 10.1016/j.jcjd.2015.09.093.
69. Bastian KA, Maximova K, McGavock J, Veugelers P. Does School-Based Health Promotion Affect Physical Activity on Weekends? And, Does It Reach Those Students Most in Need of Health Promotion? . PLoS One. 2015 Oct 21;10(10):e0137987. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0137987. eCollection 2015.
68. McGavock J Hatch G. Stemming the tide of type 2 diabetes in youth: DREAMing big, one sandbag at a time. Biochem Cell Biol. 2015 Sep 28:1-2. . PMID: 26412452
67. Shen GX, Shafer LA, Martens PJ, Sellers E, Torshizi AA, Ludwig S, Phillips-Beck W, Heaman M, Prior HJ, McGavock J, Morris M, Dart AB, Campbell R, Dean HJ. Does First Nations ancestry modify the association between gestational diabetes and subsequent diabetes: a historical prospective cohort study among women in Manitoba, Canada. Diabet Med. 2015 Sep 11. doi: 10.1111/dme.12962.
66. Saad V, Wicklow B, Wittmeier K, Hay J, MacIntosh A, Venugopal N, Ryner L, Berard L, McGavock JM. A clinically relevant method to screen for hepatic steatosis in overweight adolescents: A cross sectional study. BMC Pediatrics. 2015 Oct 8;15:151
65. Gordon JW, Dolinsky VW, Mughal W, Gordon GR, McGavock JM. Targeting skeletal muscle mitochondrial to prevent type 2 diabetes in youth. Biochem Cell Biol. 2015 May 27:1-14. [Epub ahead of print]
64. MacIntosh A. Ball GD, Majumdar S, Woo M, Plotnikoff R, Torrance B, Downs S, Rinaldi R, Ball GD, Veugelers P, Boule N, Wozny P, McCargar L, Lewanczuk R, McGavock JM. Determinants of remission from overweigth in youth. The role of fitness and physical activity. Pediatric Exercise Science. Submitted.
63. Shen GX, Shafer LA, Martens PJ, Sellers EA, Torshizi AA, Ludwig S, Phillips-Beck W, Heaman M, Prior H, McGavock J, Morris M, Dart A and Dean HJ. Does First Nations Status Modify the Association between Gestational Diabetes and Subsequent Diabetes: A Historical Prospective Cohort Study Among Mothers in Manitoba, Canada. Diabetic Medicine. In Press.
62. Vander Ploeg K, Maximova K, McGavock J, Veugelers P. Does school-based health promotion affect physical activity on weekends? And, does it reach those students most in need of health promotion? PLOS One. In Second Revision.
61. Wicklow B, Griffith A, Venugopau N, Ryner L, Dumontet J, McGavock J. Pancreatic triglyceride content in not associated with beta cell dysfunction in youth-onset type 2 diabetes. Can J. Diabetes. 2015. Jun 19: S1499.
60. Senechal M., Rempel M, Hay J, Wicklow B, Wittmeier K, MacIntosh A, McGavock J. Cardiorespiratory fitness as a determinant of the metabolic adaptations to endurance training in obese adolescents. Obesity. 2015 Apr;23(4):823-32.
59. McGavock J, Dart A, Wicklow B. Lifestyle therapy for the treatment of youth with type 2 diabetes. Curr Diab Rep. 2015 Jan;15(1):568. doi:
58. Vander Ploeg KA, Maximova K, McGavock J, Davis W, Veugelers P. Do school-based physical activity interventions increase or reduce inequalities in health? Soc Sci Med. 2014 Jul;112:80-7.
57. Yardley J, Hay J, Marks S, Abou-Setta A, McGavock J. Physical activity and metabolic control in type 1 diabetes: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Diabetes Res. Clin. Pract. 2014 Dec;106(3):393-400
56. Protudjer J, Dumontet J, McGavock J. My Voice: The lived experience of youth with type 2 diabetes. Can. J Diabetes. 2014. Aug;38(4):229-36
55. Schaeffer L, Plotnikoff R, Majumdar S Torrance B, Downs S, Rinaldi R, Ball GD, Sadman R, Veugelers P, Boule N, Wozny P, McCargar L, Lewanczuk R, McGavock JM. Its 3:30pm do you know where your child is? Outdoor time as a determinant of physical activity in children. J. Pediatrics. Sep;165(3):516-21
54. Yardley J, MacMillan F, Hay J, Wittmeier K, Wicklow B, Macintosh A, McGavock J. The blood pressure response to exercise in youth with type 2 diabetes. Pediatric Exercise Science. Nov. 10. E-pub.
53. Dart A, Wicklow B, Sellers E, Dean H, Malik S, Walker J, Chateau D, Blydt- Hansen T, McGavock J., "The Improving renal Complications in Adolescents with type 2 diabetes through REsearch (iCARE) cohort study: rationale and protocol. Can. J Diabetes. 2014 Oct;38(5):349-55.
52. Senechal M, McGuire D, Gore O, McGavock J. Is fitness associated with cardiomyopathy in the setting of type 2 diabetes? Diabetes and Vascular Disease Research. 2014. Sep;11(5):343-51
51. Eskicioglu P, Senechal M, Wood L, McKay E, Halas J, McGavock JM. The Aboriginal Youth Mentorship Program: A model of health promotion in remote First Nations Communities. Pediatrics. 2014. Jun;133(6):e1624-31.
50. Comte M, Hobin H, Manske S, Casey C, Murnaghan D, McGavock JM. Physical activity levels in adolescents exposed to a province wide physical education policy. J Physical Activity and Health. 2014 Aug 7. [Epub ahead of print]
49. Hobin E, So J, Rosella L, Comte M, Manske S, McGavock J. Trajectories of Objectively Measured Physical Activity among Secondary Students in Canada in the Context of a Province-Wide Physical Education Policy: A Longitudinal Analysis. J Obes. 2014;2014:958645. doi: 10.1155/2014/958645. Epub 2014 Jan 20.
48. Mollard R, Senechal M, Wicklow B, Hay J, Wittmeier K, MacIntosh A, Venopal, N, Berard L, McGavock J. Dietary determinants of hepatic steatosis in overweight youth. Am J Clin Nutr. 2014;99(4):804-12
47. Vander Ploeg K, Maximova K, McGavock J, Veugelers P. The effects of APPLE Schools on physical activity levels in youth. Pediatrics. 2014. Feb;133(2):e371-8.
46. Senechal M, McGavock J, Church T, Lee D, Earnest CP, Sui X, Blair S. Cut-Points of Muscle Strength Associated with Metabolic Syndrome in Men in the Aerobics Center Longitudinal Study. Medicine Sci Sports Exer. 2014 Aug;46(8):1475-81
45. Yardley J, Mollard R, MacMillan F, MacIntosh A, Wicklow B, Hurd C, Berard L, MCGavock J. The importance of vigorous intensity physical activity for metabolic control in type 1 diabetes. Can. J Diabetes. 2013 Dec;37(6):427-32
44. Durksen A, Mollard R, Downs S, Rinaldi R, Torrance B, Ball GD, Majumdar S, Plotnikoff R, Veugelers P, Boule N, Wozny P, McCargar L, Lewanczuk R, McGavock JM. Vigorous and not moderate or light physical activity is independently associated with cardiometabolic risk in youths. J of Phys Act. Health. 2014. Apr 17. [Epub ahead of print]
43. Vander Ploeg KA, Kuhle S, Maximova K, McGavock J, Wu B, Veugelers PJ. The importance of parental beliefs and support for pedometer-measured physical activity on school days and weekend days among Canadian children. BMC Public Health. 2013 Dec 5;13:1132
42. Santos RG, Durksen A, Rabanni R, Chanoine JP, Lamboo-Miln A, Mayer T, McGavock JM. Healthy Buddies© Manitoba: A Cluster Randomised Controlled Effectiveness Trial of Peer-Based Healthy Living Lesson Plans on Body Weight and Physical Activity in Elementary School Students. JAMA Pediatrics. 2014 Apr;168(4):330-7
41. Carson V, Maximova K, Rinaldi R, Torrance B, Ball GD, Majumdar S, Plotnikoff R, Veugelers P, Boule N, Wozny P, McCargar L, Downs S, Lewanczuk R, McGavock JM. Vigorous intensity physical activity and cardiometabolic risk – A prospective cohort study. Int. J of Obesity (Lond). 2014 Jan;38(1):16-21
40. Senechal M., Hay J, Wicklow B, Eskicioglu P, McGavock J. Fitness is not associated with metabolically healthy obesity in adolescents. Pediatrics. 2013. Jul;132(1):e85-92.
39. Sellers EA, Clark I, Tavakoli M, Dean HJ, McGavock J, Malik RA. The acceptability and feasibility of corneal confocal microscopy to detect early diabetic neuropathy in children: a pilot study. Diabet Med. 2013 May;30(5):630-1
38. Forbes L, Downs S, Fraser S, Majumdar S, Plotnikoff R, Ball G, Wozny P, Torrance B, Lewanczuk R, McGavock J, McCargar L. Dietary and Physical Activity Diabetes Risk Factors and Insulin Sensitivity Among Alberta Adolescents. The Healthy Hearts Cohort Study. Applied Physiology Nutrition and Metabolism. 2013 Mar;38(3):320-5
37. Protudjer J, Kozyrskyj AL, McGavock JM, Ramsey CD, Becker AB. High screen time is associated with asthma in overweight Manitoba youth. J Asthma. 2012 Nov;49(9):935-41.
36. Comte M, Hobin H, Plotnikoff R, Majumdar S, McGavock JM and MIPASS and Healthy Hearts Investigator Teams. Patterns of Physical Activity in Youth from Two Canadian Provinces. Applied Physiology Nutrition and Metabolism. 2013 Feb;38(2):115-9
35. Hay J, Maximova K, Durksen A, Rinaldi R, Torrance B, Ball GD, Majumdar S, Plotnikoff R, Veugelers P, Boule N, Wozny P, McCargar L, Downs S, Lewanczuk R, McGavock JM. Vigorous and not moderate or light physical activity is independently associated with cardiometabolic risk in youths. Submitted to Arch Ped. Adol. Med. 2012;166(11):1022.
34. Protudjer JP, Ramsey C, McGavock JM, Kozyrskyj A, Becker A. Asthma is a condition not a disease. Journal of Pediatric Asthma. 2012;49:496-501.
33. Wicklow B, Wittmeier K, Macintosh A, Sellers E, Dean H, Ryner L, McGavock JM. Metabolic consequences of hepatic steatosis in overweight youth. Diabetes Care. 2012;35(4):905-10.
32. Wittmeier K, Wicklow B, Macintosh A, Sellers E, Dean H, Ryner L, McGavock J. Low fitness is a characteristic feature of type 2 diabetes mellitus in youth. Obesity. 2012;20(5):1034-40
31. Trembath D, Macintosh A, Becker A, Kozyrskyj A, McGavock J. The association between physical activity and arterial stiffness in 12-13 yr olds. J. Phys Act Health. 2013 Feb;10(2):198-204
30. McGavock JM, Szczepaniak LS, Abdullah S, See R, Snell, PM, Ayers CR, Khera A, De Lemos, J, McGuire DK. The effects of rosiglitazone on myocardial triglyceride content in human type 2 diabetes: Results from a six-month double-blind randomized placebo-controlled trial. Diabetes and Vascular Disease Research 2012;9(2):131-7. IF 2.5
27. Vander Ploeg K, Wu B, McGavock J, Veugelers P. Physical Activity among Canadian Children on School Days and Non-School Days. Journal of Physical Activity and Health. 2012 Nov;9(8):1138-45
26. Wittmeier K, Wicklow B, Griffith A, Sellers E, Dean H, McGavock J. Determinants of successful glycemic control with lifestyle management in youth with type 2 diabetes. Pediatrics & Child Health. 2012; 17:129-132.
25. Abbas A, Szczepaniak LS, Tuncel M, McGavock JM, Huet B, Fadel PJ, Wang Z, Arbique D, Victor R, Vongpatanasin W. Adiposity-independent sympathetic activity in black men. J Appl Physiol. 2010;108(6):1613-8.
24. McGuire DK, Abdullah SM, See R, Snell PG, McGavock J, Szczepaniak LS, Ayers CR, Drazner MH, Khera A, de Lemos JA. Randomized comparison of the effects of rosiglitazone vs. placebo on peak integrated cardiovascular performance, cardiac structure, and function. Eur Heart J. 2010;31:2262-70.